Ways To Keep Yourself and Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly when inhaled in high concentrations. It's often referred to as the "silent killer" because it's virtually undetectable without the proper equipment. To protect your home and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, it's essential to take proactive measures. 

At ServiceOne, we specialize in making repairs and performing maintenance on many different gas-powered home systems, including furnaces, water heaters and appliances. In this guide, we'll go over some home safety tips to follow that will keep your home and loved ones safe from this invisible threat.

Install carbon monoxide detectors

The first and most crucial step in carbon monoxide safety is installing CO detectors in your home. These devices can alert you to the presence of elevated carbon monoxide levels before they become life-threatening. Here's what you should know about CO detectors:

  • Placement: Install CO detectors on every level of your home and near sleeping areas. Make sure they are within 10 feet of each bedroom door.
  • Regular testing: Test your CO detectors monthly to ensure they are functioning correctly. Replace the batteries at least once a year or follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
  • Maintain appliances and heating systems

Many household appliances and heating systems can produce carbon monoxide if they are not properly maintained. To minimize the risk:

  • Annual inspections: Schedule annual inspections for your furnace, water heater, fireplace and any other gas-burning appliances by a qualified technician. They will check for leaks and ensure proper ventilation.
  • Chimney maintenance: If you have a wood-burning fireplace, have your chimney cleaned and inspected regularly to prevent blockages and buildup that can impede proper ventilation.

Ventilation is key

Good ventilation is essential for preventing the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home. Here's what you can do as a homeowner to ensure you have the right amount of ventilation:

  • Never block vents: Ensure that vents for your heating system, dryer and any gas appliances are clear of obstructions.
  • Proper fireplace use: When using your fireplace, make sure the damper is open and that there is adequate airflow.
  • Garage safety: Never run your car's engine in an enclosed space like a garage, even with the garage door open.

Be aware of symptoms

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can be subtle and often mimic the flu. Common signs include headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion and fatigue. If multiple family members experience these symptoms simultaneously and suspect CO exposure, evacuate the home and seek medical attention immediately.

Emergency preparedness

It’s important to know what to do if you suspect there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home. In case of a CO emergency:

  • Leave the area: If your CO detector sounds an alarm, leave your home immediately and get to fresh air.
  • Call 911: Once you're safely outside, call 911 or your local emergency services to report a suspected CO leak.
  • Do not return: Do not re-enter your home until emergency responders have given you the all-clear.

Professional inspection

For added peace of mind, homeowners can consider scheduling a professional CO inspection for your home. Certified technicians can use specialized equipment to check for leaks and ensure your appliances are operating safely.

Carbon monoxide safety is not something to take lightly. By following these home safety tips and staying vigilant, you can protect your home and family from the dangers of CO poisoning. Our team at ServiceOne is here to help with any HVAC or appliance maintenance needs to ensure your home remains safe and comfortable. Give us a call today with any of your home maintenance or repair needs!

Previous Page