Protecting Your Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is one thing you want to keep out of your home this fall and winter. Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is a colorless, odorless gas that can end up killing you. Carbon monoxide is mostly found in fumes produced by burning fuels such as your car, furnace, grills and fireplaces. It’s more common during the cold months of the year, as your home’s furnace runs. Although carbon monoxide is not likely to make its way into your home, there are still things you should be doing to be sure it doesn’t!

At ServiceOne, we offer Omaha furnace service to help you rest assured that you and your home are staying safe and comfortable. In this blog, we discuss what you can be doing to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning!

Install a carbon monoxide detector

The first and most efficient way to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning is by ensuring that your home has a properly working carbon monoxide detector installed. Usually, homeowners choose to have at least one battery operated detector, however, having multiple detectors is never a bad idea. If you have a battery operated detector, be sure that you are regularly changing your batteries every six months or so

Keep your home’s vents clear

Especially after storms or during snowy seasons, be sure that your home’s exterior vents are clear. Your home’s vents are critical in allowing bad gas to exit, and if not cleared, you are putting your home and family at risk!

It’s also important that you are keeping your fireplace clean and well vented. This is especially important if you have a gas-powered fireplace. Be sure that your fuel is working properly and that you turn off your gas after each use!

Schedule a furnace inspection

Another thing you should do every year before the cold weather hits is schedule a furnace inspection. A cracked heat exchanger within your furnace is one of the leading causes of carbon monoxide poisoning. Calling a professional to come inspect your furnace before every winter will ensure that your furnace is working properly and that your home will stay comfortable and healthy all winter long!

At ServiceOne, our HVAC techs offer the best Omaha furnace service! We are only one call away

Don’t use certain things indoors

Another thing to always remember is that outdoor products are meant to be used outdoors! For example, do not use a gas-powered grill indoors, nor a gas-powered generator! The amount of carbon monoxide produced indoors can kill you in minutes.

This is the same for your vehicles! As you probably already know, you should never let your car run in a closed garage. Carbon monoxide can sneak into your home even if you run your car with your garage door open! These are all things you should be mindful of.  

Regular home maintenance

Lastly, to do everything you can to stay safe, it only makes sense to have a professional come inspect and maintain your home’s system. Carbon monoxide can also be produced from faulty dryer machines or ovens. A simple inspection from a home services company like ServiceOne can ultimately save your life!

Although it’s not common, homeowners should be taking precautionary action to protect themselves and their families from carbon monoxide poisoning. Use these tips to ensure your home and family stay protected this winter!

At ServiceOne, we offer Omaha furnace service to keep your home safe and comfortable. To learn more about our heating and cooling services, or any of our other home services, visit our website today! 

Previous Page